Dear Friends,
A year ago we moved here & I began this awesome journey
as the PTA president. When I volunteered
last January I was terrified. I’m the gal who would pay my money to join PTA
& sign up at back to school night, but I avoided all meetings like the
plague and when they called me to help, I would more often be too busy to
help. I did have little ones at home
back then, so this time, when the note came home saying that if someone didn’t
volunteer the PTA would be abolished, I decided that this was my year. I wasn’t pregnant or nursing & I had 3 at
Sage Hills & only one at home.
I can’t tell you how glad I am that I accepted the
opportunity to serve as the President. I
have had the chance to make friends I wouldn’t have otherwise. I have fallen in love with the faculty &
staff at Sage Hills and it’s been a grand adventure!! It has been time consuming at times, but
there have been so many amazing people willing to help that leading hasn’t been
nearly as hard as I thought it might be.
So why am I not jumping at the chance to do it again? I’ve
thought about it and it’s not my year to be President again. I’m still planning on being involved, and
hope to help the next President, but my oldest is in 6th grade &
next year I need to split my time between her new school & Sage Hills. In addition I’m becoming more involved in
helping my husband build his business.
You might wonder why am I sharing all this? Well, the note is about to go home again
saying that we need a President for next year and if we don’t have anyone step
up, there will not be a PTA at Sage Hills Elementary. That means no one to organize volunteers for
vision & hearing screenings, no one to organize & change out take home
reading books, no class parties and no after school activities, just to name a
few of the many things parents do to help in the school. Every interaction between students, teachers
& parents is supported by and linked to the PTA. I just can’t imagine the school without
it.
So here is the plea, we need someone to step up! A
commitment now means that you’ll need to give a little time now to help us plan
next year and get a feel of how things are run, but it won’t require a lot of
time. I know there is someone out there
who has perhaps avoided getting involved as much as I did, or used to be
involved and took a break, or is ready for a more leading role, someone who can
look at their life and say, “this is my year”.
If you feel that pull, please email me at shireedome@gmail.com or give me a call
at 801-369-4625. There are friends to meet and amazing experiences to have!
Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Sincerely,
Shiree Dome
p.s. We will even take co-presidents if there is someone feeling like they could help, but not carry the entire load alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment